By: Jamie Collins
Chances are there has come a time in your life, perhaps even in the here and now, when you knew you really wanted to do a big, bold, scary, new thing, but found yourself cloaked in self-doubt, fear, uncertainty, apprehension, and worry. Rather than taking a step toward the dream, you choose, instead, to waffle in the land of indecision, inaction or ambiguity. Why is that? Why do we continue to be gripped in place (moving no closer to the goal) by these things: self-doubt, fear, uncertainty, apprehension and worry – the dream killers? Those things that prevent us from rising up to do things we know in our hearts and minds we were put on this earth to do. The things that would make us feel far more alive, if only we did them.
Yet, there we sit…doubting, worrying, uncertain, scared. Paralyzed.
We may even make our way toward one goal or dream. We bask in it. We feel accomplished. It inspires us. Our confidence is renewed. It compels us to want more out of life. Then we find ourselves, yet again, sitting down on life’s bench with a new vision in our hearts and dead dreams waving to us in the roadway with each day that passes us by, failing to take any action.
Big decisions or bold changes don’t come easy. It is certainly important to weigh options. It’s crucial to do research, gain valuable experience and insight, and know where the path may lead. It’s helpful to be realistic in weighing potential choices, scenarios, and outcomes. At times, we must reach out to others for guidance, additional information or for planning purposes. But you know what? Once you’ve passed these stages, spent sufficient time in contemplative thought, and formulated an acceptable plan to charge toward the dream, it’s time to silence everything except for the drive within you; the ambition that brought you to the dream or decision in the first place. The passion you felt deep down in your soul radiating out from you, the moment you sold yourself the dream. The one you refuse to tuck away on life’s shelf one moment longer. That one.
There are many people reading this post who are currently being oppressed by the dream killers. Dwelling in doubt. Basking in Fear. Dealing in uncertainty. Waiting, wishing, and wanting to break through a self-perpetuating barrier they cannot seem to escape. You may find yourself among them. There is a powerful dream burning in your soul, but you are remaining (ever so cautiously) on the sidelines. You have a vision that burns so brightly, you do not wish to spend one more day seated on life’s bench, gripped in doubt, uncertainty, and fear of the unknown.
Not you. Not your dream benched. Not one more day.
(But there you sit.)
When contemplating your next big endeavor, here’s what you need to know:
- Plans are helpful. But a persistent passion, an endless enthusiasm, and unbridled ambition are far more important. If you follow your passions, play to your strengths, and align with your intended purpose, you will make your way there. (You may even end up somewhere you never even expected to be. Part of the fun lies in the uncertainty of it all. The possibilities. The choices. The growth. The journey.)
- Every good thing you need to accomplish “big” things is already within you. Your soul knows what it seeks. You may need to secure additional education, training, mentorship, professional connections, guidance or experience to make it so, but if you feel called to do a particular thing, take action.
- Own the fact that you are enough. You have everything you need to be uniquely you and fulfill your life’s passion and purpose. (And if you don’t have it, you’ll find it.)
- Take time to conduct research and create a plan of attack, but don’t obsess. Over-analysis leads to paralysis.
- Realize that inaction = the death of your dreams.
- Take a deep breath, have a little faith, and put yourself on the path.
Believe in yourself. Believe in your dreams. Trust your intuition. Follow your purpose. Get out there today and blaze a new trail, take a class, find a mentor, teach a class, read an interesting book, volunteer in the community, become a leader, start a business, attend a conference or workshop, befriend inspiring people, write an article, learn something new, and do whatever it is that will bring you one small step closer to your life’s passion and purpose. Don’t remain paralyzed one moment longer. The time for action is now. Light the fire in your soul and charge through the self-doubt, fear, uncertainty, apprehension, and worry. All you have to do is take one step toward the dream. Just one step.
Do it today.
One Moment. One decision. One step.
Wave goodbye to the dream killers.
The time is now…
“A single dream is more important than a thousand realities.” – J.R.R. Tolkien
“Do not let your fire go out, spark by irreplaceable spark in the hopeless swamps of the not-quite, the not-yet, and the not-at-all. Do not let the hero in your soul perish in lonely frustration for the life you deserved and have never been able to reach. The world you desire can be won. It exists…it is real…it is possible…it’s yours.” – Ayn Rand
“Your life is an occasion. Rise to it.” – Suzanne Weyn
If you liked today’s post – share it. Leave a comment. I’d love to hear from you!